Bratislava. Where is that? What is there?
Are you asking yourself these questions? If you are, well go research about this beautiful city.
Fun Fact: It is located on the borders with Austria and Hungary which makes it the only national capital that borders between two countries.
If you are thinking of visiting then here are the top 5 things you should do (this is purely based on my experience).
First of all, let me clarify to you that this city was not in our plans when we visited Vienna in the summer. We were going to Vienna and that’s it. As we explored the city we noticed we still had a lot of time left, that’s when we started noticing ads for ferries and buses to take a day trip to Bratislava. So we said, why not?
What’s in Bratislava anyways?
Here is what we recommend to do:
- If you are in Vienna take the ferry so you can experience beautiful scenic views on your way to this new destination.
- Visit the Bratislava Castle, but be ready to hike up since this renovated Baroque castle is at a hilltop. This makes it for great views of the city.
- Be on the look out for bronze statues around the town, like this famous one “Man at Work.”
- Don’t miss a chance to visit the Church of St. Elisabeth, it’s a bit farther away from the downtown area but is so unique it’s worth a visit. It looked to me as if it was made from fondant or out of a Cinderella movie.
- This last item is a must and the one I miss the most. As your walking around the town please please stop to eat at Orbis Street Food and order meat in a cone, (just typing this makes my mouth water). This place was so delicious, we regret not going back for seconds. It’s like fast food but with delicious juicy meat so if your into that, it’s a must try!
There are many other things you can do in this city, however we only had one day to explore so this is what we saw and loved.